Translated Jeff Matthews
The wind sweeps the coast and the golden Egg Castle stands out between the blue of the sea and the blue of the heavens streaked with white.
In 1128 it was cited as “arx sancti Salvatoris” and later “Salvatore a mare” (Saviour at the Sea); today it appears as an architectural group of defensive structures grown together over the years, with the typically medieval components partially obliterated.
This structure, too—although to a lesser degree than the Castel Sant'Elmo—was partially cut right into the rock and has a number of secondary structures also dug in the tufa rock.
The castle was the seat of the “royal treasury (established under the Swabians) and, as well, there were other 'offices' connected with the life of the court”
(Lucio Santoro, Castelli angioini e aragonesi nel Regno di Napoli, Rusconi Editore, Milan 1982, p. 64).
It is a splendid example of fortified architecture and would be well worthy of a detailed survey. It would be interesting to examine the surrounding sea bottom to locate remnants of ancient defenses.
Gianluca Padovan (Ass.ne S.C.A.M. – F.N.C.A.)
All published content, unless otherwise indicated, is subject to the Creative Commons license
The site www.napoliunderground.org is updated irregularly and thus is not to be considered a newspaper or editorial product as defined by law n.62 of March 7, 2001
Napoli Underground (NUg) is an independent organization concerned solely with exploring, researching, educating and informing; it is not connected with any of the many associations that serve tourism and/or provide guided tours of our city.
View e-Privacy Directive Documents